Wednesday 12 June 2013

What are your fears about technology in the classroom?


http://www.pbs.org/about/news/archive/2012/teacher-survey-fetc/


I found these two images today and thought both were very interesting. Clearly there are tons of reasons/benefits for teachers to use technology in the classroom. However from this survey teachers lack the right level of technology/information. I have seen this in my pre-internship, where my co-op wanted to use technology in the class, but did not have access to the right level of technology. This resulted in her not being able to complete that lesson.

I have also seen other teachers not use technology in the classroom because they did not feel comfortable implementing/using it in the class. I have seen teachers not use certain technology because they do not want to branch away from something that they already know and understand. I was concerned about trying technology in the classroom because I did not know how to do it. Yet I tried it out with the class and it was a  great learning experience for the students and myself. I believe we need to push our boundaries/comfort zone and not be afraid to try new things. That is how we learn and see if something works, by trying it out and making mistakes.

Was there any type of technology you were afraid to use when teaching? Please share :)




2 comments:

  1. I think I am afraid to use most types of technology in my classroom because a) I am not great at using technology and b) I never grew up that way. I think I have this vision of what my classroom is going to look like based on when I was in elementary school and there are so many different things now that are involved in the classroom. I think classrooms look so different now. I am really excited about my pre-internship and internship because I think it will give me a better insight to what is going to come in my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, I am definitely nervous about incorporating technology into the classroom i will be pre-interning at. I hope our co-ops have great ideas of how they use technology in their classrooms. Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete